An innovative results focused business leader whose analytical insights bring clarity to Boards, enabling the easy identification and rectification of constraints in existing business models. Marina has spent +25 years working with companies from start-ups to large corporates across sectors and industries. These experiences have equipped her with the expertise required to advise in the driving of business model innovation, taking of disruptive products to market and the designing and implementing of strategies.
Marina is now looking for select opportunities to add to her portfolio of Non-Executive appointments. She is particularly enthused by the prospect of leveraging her experience to advise companies of all sizes across sectors and industries. Companies looking to drive business growth through innovation of product, business models or strategies will find solace in Marina’s expertise.
✓ Driving Commercial Growth ✓ Strategic Partnerships ✓ Business Development ✓ Designing & Implementing Strategies ✓ Start-Ups ✓ Executive Coaching ✓ Business Model Innovation ✓ Taking Products to Market ✓ Fundraising
- Set up and Co-Founded a new UK ventures business unit for global technology consultancy company, ThoughtWorks. Within 12 months the new services generated $8m revenue.
- Designed the ThoughtWorks Ventures strategy that served as a blueprint for ThoughtWorks' global operations.
- Worked as the advisor to the Managing Director of Co-op Ventures to establish potential new markets and products for Co-op to enter. Within 4 weeks, the MD was armed with a robust business model for building and acquiring innovative tech products and companies and an Executive Board pitch deck. This resulted in ventures into the healthcare market with acquisition of Dimec.
- Part of the Executive team to build, grow and scale MBNA's European business. MBNA Europe grew to 4000+ people. In 2016, Lloyds Banking Group acquired MBNA/Bank of America for £1.9bn.
- Part of team of 3 to set up a new business unit for Lloyds Bank - Lloyds Bank Insurance Direct (LBID) - a new 60 person business unit within 3 months.
- Supported MySense.ai in raising £500k from local councils within 2 months and responsible for the first ever motorsport crowdfunding campaign which raised $3.7m in 7 days. Other fund raising initiatives include £4m for an entertainment company and £1.5m for an EdTech company.
ADVISORY ROLES INCLUDE: ThoughtWorks , Co-op and STEP Today
Director for Formula Fun Entertainment
Strategic Consultant for Various clients
I have successfully advised businesses across multiple sectors. I delight in the knowledge that I can inspire, educate and transform businesses using my skills. Focus on strategic business development, joint venture partnerships and leadership development.
Visit www.marinanicholas.com to learn more
Director of Strategy ThoughtWorks Ventures for ThoughtWorks
In 2017, ThoughtWorks UK sought to set up a new business unit - ThoughtWorks Ventures - to tap into three interconnected megatrends: the increase in trade between UK and China, the significant growth in technology start-ups entering a crowded market, and the digital transformation of cities and communities.
Responsible for establishing and executing strategy to build new products, build a team and the strategic partnerships within three new ecosystems to maximize success. Within 12 months, ThoughtWorks Ventures generated $8m revenue and the business model has been adopted by ThoughtWorks globally.