Horserace Betting Levy Board - Chair
We are seeking to appoint a new Chair to the Horserace Betting Levy Board. We are looking to appoint a candidate with strong leadership and relationship management qualities, excellent communication skills and experience in being responsible for the strategic distribution of funding and spending decisions.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with both the public and private sector in supporting one of Britain’s greatest sports. The Chair will be responsible for providing leadership to the Board, overseeing a rigorous collection procedure and decision making for Levy distribution. The Chair will work closely with the racing industry and the Government to ensure the Levy is spent effectively, and in accordance with the statutory objectives, so that it continues to meet racing’s needs and delivers against the Levy Board’s strategic objectives.
The successful candidate will be required to be in place by 1st April 2020.
British horseracing plays an important part in supporting the British economy, contributing £3.5 billion and employing over 17,000 people. Racing is the second highest attended sport in Britain after football and its prestigious festivals are amongst Britain’s sporting crown jewels, including The Cheltenham Festival; The Grand National; and Royal Ascot which is attended every year by The Queen and other members of the Royal Family.
The Horserace Betting Levy Board plays an integral role in ensuring the continued success of the sport by collecting the Levy from betting operators and administering the statutory Levy annually. The Levy provides funding for the improvement of horseracing and veterinary science and equine welfare.
The Chair will be required to:
- provide leadership to the Board to maximise the impact of the 2017 reforms and oversee the collection of the Levy and strategic distribution decisions;
- uphold the highest standards of governance and ensure that the Levy Board discharges its statutory duties;
- agree the strategic direction of the Levy Board, taking into account the views of racing, bookmakers, veterinary groups, breeding associations and other interested parties to deliver against the Levy Board’s strategic objectives;
- review the performance of Board members and executives and ensure skills and experience are appropriately deployed; and
- drive effective relationships with senior stakeholders, including the Government, betting, racing and veterinary industries.
The Chair will be required to represent the views of the Board and will ensure that the Board’s decisions are made in accordance with Government issued guidance, transparency and State Aid rules. The Chair will also support the Accounting Officer in promoting the efficient and effective use of staff and other resources and the delivery of high standards of regularity and propriety.
Successful candidates will meet the following essential criteria:
- have proven chair skills that encourage participation and information sharing with the ability to challenge constructively;
- have a strong understanding of corporate governance and a commitment to the principles of public sector propriety, regularity and accountability;
- a strong understanding of budgetary forecasting and management, funding strategy and funding decision-making and be able to provide vision and strategic thinking to the Board;
- experience in working with stakeholders and be able to achieve consensus and retain stakeholder confidence;
A detailed knowledge of the racing and betting industries is desirable rather than essential, but a willingness to develop such knowledge would be expected, including attendance at some race meetings.